Monday, July 15, 2013

Boxing Stinks.



3 weeks into training.  (Has it really only been that long?)  94 days til Fight.

Here are some things I've observed.

 - Boxing stinks.  Really smells.  The gym doesn't smell somehow.  Fitness Advantage is super clean and comfortable; however anytime I'm in there I stink like you wouldn't believe.  Of course, I'm sweating like I've never sweat before, but I prefer to think it has something to do with the leather gloves, bag, and the sweaty hand wraps and not me.  This theory doesn't explain why my hair elastic smells the same way.  Oh well.  I have to sit on a towel when I drive Dave's car home from the gym.  I've been soaking his seats.

 - Your opponent's sweat flying into your eye burns nearly as much as her punch.

 - Trying to pick up your water bottle or mouth guard with your gloves on is hysterical and makes me giggle in the gym.   Everyone else takes off their gloves but I can't get them back on fast enough.

 - Thinking that holding the bag for your partner is your "rest time" is a big mistake.  If you lay your head on the bag while you hold it, you may actually get knocked out...especially if your partner is Christine.

Christine is the best part of this whole experience so far.  I met her right away because she is there every day, sometimes twice.  She's originally from Rosi/JP like me, and she instantly took me under her wing.  She is the most powerful woman I can imagine and she looks very intimidating; however her heart warms the whole gym.  She's happy, funny and encouraging.  Instead of concentrating on her own workout she watches me and has been teaching me everything she knows.  I am so blessed to have her in my corner.

The whole Fitness Advantage family is very special, actually.  Everyone works really hard, encourages each other, fights each other, and jokes around.  We're always laughing.  I love going there, and I'll really miss it when the fight is over.  I don't want to think about it yet.


Here is some of the gang.


At this point I feel very well conditioned (thank you, DHAC trainers for the head start!), and I'm working on technique and power. I'm no longer nervous to spar.  I'm starting to look forward to it because I see it as more of a chess game now.  I have a few tools to avoid getting hit and I'm working hard at them.  I especially love to spar the big men who aren't allowed to hit me back and I'm not afraid of hurting.  That is fun.

I get to spar my Haymaker's opponent on August 17th (Two 2 min rounds) to make sure it is a good match-up.  I'm excited for this and hope that we're around the same level; although she's a full-time personal trainer with no kids to distract her, and she's 3 years younger.  I know, I know....it doesn't sound good, but remember...I'm Irish.  ;)  










3 comments:

  1. I just love you! Your power, your energy, your enthusiasm! You are the best...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. Buy latex gloves online

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your post. It is good to see you verbalize from the heart and clarity on this important subject can be easily observed... Gloves for sale online

    ReplyDelete