Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Media Day




Last Sunday all the Haymakers' Belles met at Nonantum Boxing Club in Newton for media and sparring day. It was the big day where we got to spar our actual opponent for two 2 minute rounds to get comfortable with each other and make sure it was a good match.   It was also the day where we filmed our entrance videos for fight night.

Our Haymakers FA Boxing team (Katie, Annie, Sione, Kathy and me) met and headed over together.  We had to go wearing dress clothes so we could take our "before" picture.  It was strange seeing each other in anything other than sweaty, stinky Lululemon.


When we arrived we took a few photos and quickly changed into our workout clothes and began warming up.  I had met some of the other Belles before so spent some time catching up and meeting new ones.  It is a bit of an awkward feeling when you're in a room filled with opponents...who are all working together for a common charity goal...who are all really good people...who you then have to go punch in the face.  Do you become friendly with your opponent?  Do you keep your distance so you can mentally fight her later?  Does she want to talk to you?   Is it okay to be friendly with two Belles who are fighting each other?  All of these things ran through my head, but ultimately decided that we were all part of the same team, experiencing very similar journeys, and there shouldn't be any reason for awkwardness.  After all, my FA Team and I punch each other in the face nearly every day and we are great friends.  In fact, training so hard together has bonded us very quickly and firmly.  I am so thankful to have this experience with them.

Katie (on the right in the above picture) is from my town and church, also has 4 kids, and works full-time at her own company.  She has been training with me since the beginning. She is so focused.  She is the type of person who doesn't do anything half way and sets high expectations for herself and meets them.  I admire her, love her humor that lightens the pressure, and am so proud of her.  When I am feeling overwhelmed she gets it, and that is often all I need...someone who really understands what I'm going through.

Annie (in middle in orange above) is a trainer at Fitness Advantage.  About a week and a half before media day she got a call asking if she would like to jump into Haymakers (1/2 way through training) to replace a fighter who was injured or dropped out.  It was funny because literally the night before we were running and we asked her if she would consider doing it and her answer was "probably someday".  She didn't hesitate when she was asked, and completely threw herself into training, as she is not a boxer.  I have never seen anyone work so hard and improve so much in a week and a half.  She's truly amazing and I can't wait to see how good she is going to be in October.  She's also a Mom and funny enough...we share the exact same birthday!   She never, ever stops smiling and her positive attitude is infectious.  She keeps me going even when I am exhausted.

Both of these ladies are such a blessing, and they'll always be very special to me.  We have formed a solid team and we stood strong together on media/sparring day watching as each one of us faced our opponents and giggling as we posed for pictures.

The three of us were lucky enough to spar first, getting it out of the way.  Katie began, followed by Annie and then me.  I was calm and confident in the ring.  We all did very well. Now we know a little something about our opponents and our trainer, Sione, knows a lot about them.  He's able to use this information to tailor our training to our specific opponents.  This is huge.  One enormous thing we learned about my opponent is that she is a lefty, a southpaw.  This changes some things for me.

After sparring we transformed into stars.  We were posing for still pictures, doing interviews, and taping all sorts of segments for our entrance video...complete with smoke machines, people spritzing us with water, fans blowing our hair, and sledgehammers.  Yes, pink sledgehammers.  You'll just have to come to the fight in order to see it!  (BTW...tickets are selling fast.  Don't miss out.  Get yours here:  http://donate.haymakersforhope.org/fundraise?fcid=252741)




In my video I dedicated my fight to 3 people...my friend Denise, a Mom of 4 young children, who was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer.  She wasn't given very much hope but has won the fight!  When I am overwhelmed or tired all I have to do is image the fight she fought and it inspires me.

I also dedicate my fight to a beautiful little girl named Emily, whose Mother lost her battle to breast cancer.  I see her every week and wish I could change fate for her.  I am inspired by her power to overcome such a great loss, and her incredibly strong father who is raising her alone, and doing it so very well.

Finally, to Dave's family in memory of "Jammy" who lost her very long fight to breast and other cancers.  She battled cancer over and over again and smiled and laughed through it all, truly making each day with her family count.  A lesson to keep close to my heart.

Sadly, I could dedicate my fight to so many more friends who have or are battling breast (and other) cancer. If I weren't so shy to speak on film I would have kept going.  :)   You are all in my heart as I fundraise for this very important cause. Thank you to all of my supporters!

So media/sparring day was a success.  (I can't wait to see the video.) It was more comfortable sparring then posing and filming.  It felt silly and we laughed a lot, but I also took moments to absorb the fun of it because after these 4 months are over I go back to laundry, dishes and carpool...or do I? ...


No comments:

Post a Comment