Thursday, October 3, 2013

2 weeks from tonight!



It's officially breast cancer awareness month!  I cannot believe it is October.  The date felt so far away for so long, but now the fight is in 14 days!  I am so proud to have already raised over $7,000 for breast cancer research.  I remember when I started and $3,000 seemed like so much.  I can't stop thanking you all for helping me knock out my fundraising goals.  I keep raising the bar because you keep pushing it.  It really feels like we're all one big team.   I am going to aim high and would love to raise $10,000! (That would make this the best midlife crisis ever!!!)   Please consider buying a ticket or donating if you haven't already. Every little bit helps!  No amount is too small.   Please donate here.

When I first began my training I just wanted to get into the ring and do something a little scary.  It was a very personal goal to grow.  As time progressed and I learned more, my goal was to make it a good fight for all of you who are coming to watch.  As more time progressed I decided that I REALLY wanted to win for me, my team, my gym and my trainer.  I never thought too much about the fundraising to be honest until you all got behind me.  I knew I'd meet my minimum but I didn't expect that I'd more than double it.  Now I feel like I've already done something great...without even stepping into the ring yet. No matter the outcome on the 17th I will be proud of our contribution toward breast cancer research, surviving the grueling training, facing fears, setting an example for my kids, and making life-long friends. The fight is only 6 minutes of my life and this process has been 4 blessed months.  But yes, I still do plan on winning.  ;)

I have very mixed emotions about this journey ending in 2 weeks.  Part of me is excited for the fight and can't wait to do it and have it behind me...to be able to wake up every day knowing that I don't have to go get punched in the face later and to have workouts be fun again and not a job.  Part of me understands that this special time will be over though and I will miss it dearly.  I will miss the energy that our fight brings to the gym, and my life, every day.  I will miss all of the support from family and friends, but I will be happy to have the time to see you all again.  It will surely be an interesting transition back to "normal".

I had a minor set-back in training last week and "ain't nobody got time for that" at this point.  It came at the worst possible time, but it's just one more thing that I will have overcome. I was so frustrated to have to take a few days off at crunch time.  The first two days were rough.  I wondered if I would be able to finish this journey, or do it at the level I can be proud of. I freaked out because I thought there was a possibility that the fight would not happen and I knew that would be devastating...for both me and my opponent.  I didn't want to let either of us down.  I was so frustrated.  I found myself remembering the Arnold Schwarzenegger quote from "Anonymous" and it fired me up enough to not feel bad for myself and to accept it and use it as fuel.  I feel nearly 100% now but what I noticed in my short time off is that an amazing calm washed over me.  Any nerves about fight night are gone.  This short break was indeed a gift. I think it also allowed me to gain the weight I need to!   Sione has this vegetarian girl eating beef every day!

Another gift in this incredible experience is that the little girl that I've dedicated my fight to, Emily, who lost her Mother to breast cancer, may be a part of the big night as a "ring kid".  I will be so happy to see her between rounds, and hope she enjoys this moment to shine for her bravery and strength.

That's about it for now.  I'm off to spar and practice what I was working on this morning.  The countdown is on!  Thanks for your support.

PS - Here is a great post from a former Haymakers' fighter.  It really lets you in on the experience!  Maybe one of you will be a future Haymaker!  I'd love that.
http://haymakersforhope.org/blog/how-to-become-a-boxer-in-8-not-so-easy-steps/

No comments:

Post a Comment